A recent "Time Management Workshop" that I attended was fascinating because it concentrated not on scheduling more things into less time, but rather on self-awareness. Among the best concepts discussed:
- The Compass vs. The Clock — the distinction between Important and Urgent — the need to pay attention to the long-term direction of one's life
- Personal Mission Statement — the value of explicitly stating one's values and reminding oneself of them
- Addiction to Busy-ness — the dangers of mistaking activity for accomplishment
Well, maybe the above is really just one concept, but it's a powerful one. Some memorable aphorisms:
- "Lots of time, good enough is good enough!"
- "Make the back burner into an incinerator!"
- "Don't focus on your 'To Do' list—focus on your 'To Be' list!"
^z - 2009-04-21